PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS Coventry 1982
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2013, 10:08
Edmund Spencer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regret my memories of the event are rather hazy. I can, however, say with absolute certainty that I was never in visual contact with either element of the A4's. I was flying in 'fighting wing' on Neill's echelon at about 200 metres in a very similar intercept to the day before when I was with Andy Auld and we encountered and shot down 'Oro' section of three Mirage V's.
Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember the "Judy" was the pilot's affirmation that he had radar contact and was able to take over the intercept. In truth, most of the intercepts during the conflict were at ultra low level at very high speed and I really don't think we spent too much time looking at the radar.
For me the tragedy is that we easily had the performance to out accelerate and catch the A4's at low level. This was demonstrated convincingly when Dave Morgan and I bounced four A4's on the evening of 8 June.
If Neill had indeed been in visual contact we would without doubt have been able to close the distance and splash them.
ES