PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH90
Thread: NH90
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2013, 22:54
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair technology

Thanks for the reply SnL. I have sent you a PM.

Interesting to see you mention Mirage and F-111. I was directly responsible for development of the repair application methodologies for both of these repairs and that is where I developed my understanding of how to (and more importantly how NOT to) implement repairs for on-aircraft applications.

I can understand that in an operational environment there may be a need for quick and dirty repairs, but these need to be seen for what they are. They are not terminating actions and there needs to be directives to replace those repairs at the next servicing. The MRH90 SRM seems to treat these as terminating actions.

The example for the MRH90 is only one of many where the OEM procedures are deficient. I firmly believe that there is a total lack of regulatory guidance on what actually constitutes an acceptable repair procedure. In the commercial fixed-wing aircraft world there is a body (Commercial Aircraft Composite Repair Committee) which has developed guidelines for bonded repair methods but their work only addresses off-aircraft rebuilds, not on-aircraft repairs. I think that there is a screaming need for guidance such as an Advisory Circular that sets out minimum standards for on-aircraft repairs. Sadly, the ADF had one (DEF (AUST) 9005) but they have chosen to relegate this to the status of interesting reference material.

Regards

Blakmax