PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Air Engineer Branch
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2013, 22:04
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dude (excuse my familiarity) don't take it bad (as some long haired songsters once sang), I'm sure that all of the Flight Engineers who I served with had to pass their regular checks, hence the respect for their abilities, and you could have been one of them. Having enjoyed my time as a Ground Engineer, it would be dishonest to suggest that any of the Aircrew lacked in capability or professional competence. The first Flight Engineer I ever met was a chap called Bert Poulton. He was part of the RAF Colerne Flight Test Crew circa 1971, and knew more about Albert than I ever did or will. Anyone who can take a few minutes while the rest of his crew are waiting (Sqdn Ldr Captain in a rush to get to the pub) post flight test, to explain to a newly qualified Jnr Tech why the 2g pull up and climb was needed to test the safety valve after major servicing is someone worthy of respect, and appreciated. Cost savings and efficiency are truly marvellous things, but sometimes achieved to the detriment of the old "esprit de corps" etc. I hoped that when the service finally waived goodbye to the Flight Engineer, they would have ensured that current career commitments were honoured, I'm sure that many would be competent in other aspects of Aircrew employment. I just hope that the lads are not shafted, as is often the case.

Smudge