PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 747 Dreamlifter lands at wrong airport
Old 29th Nov 2013, 17:34
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert185
Since Asiana has been compared to Atlas so much by those looking to bash Americans (yes, true enough)
Whoa there, D - that's certainly not what I was getting at. You know me - I think reflexively bashing any person or group of people on the basis of arbitrary generalisations (e.g. nationality, occupation, age) is counter-productive and pointless.

If you look at my post above, I didn't mention the nationality of the Atlas crew at all - because I'm well aware that the attitude to some Asian carriers comes from across the Western contingent, not just USians.

My perspective is that it is much more egregious to not focus on and maintain airspeed during an approach (and especially a visual) than landing at the wrong airport.
Fair enough, but as others have pointed out, any deviation in position from where you're supposed to be has the potential to be dangerous - in fact very dangerous if the "wrong" airport is in use!

I taught the Asians for enough years to spot certain trends that easily resulted in stereotyping. I also had some great ones. There were Americans (and other nationalities) who shouldn't go near the airport other than to be SLF.
That may be so, but to be a good teacher one has to resist the urge to stereotype - at least on a professional level.

How long ago were you doing TRE out East, out of interest?

Atlas provided the opportunity for some to poke the stick at the Yanks once again.
Really? I'm seeing the odd facepalm towards the crew, but their nationality hasn't come into the discussion that I can see - other than a higher-than-usual level of "no harm, no foul" posts.

(this bit is off-topic, my apologies to the mods...)

Everytime I got together at a pub, or elswhere, with co-workers or newly-met "friends", the passtime of Yank-bashing by the Brits would eventually surface. Even an ex-mother-in-law couldn't resist by bashing her own Yank husband she so aggressively pursued. (Wait for it...yep there it is.) We need beating-a-dead-horse icon.
Let's be fair - there's a big difference between personal ribbing amongst friends, family and colleagues during leisure time versus casting aspersions on strangers' professional capability on the basis of nationality!

You guys are really likeable except for that. You really need to get over whatever it is that perpetuates the trend. Can't we all just get along?
But we do get along! You can't tell me it's all one-way traffic with a straight face, surely. I think the odd friendly insult should be as accepted as we accept, for example, consistently being the bad guys in Hollywood movies.

One trait that I hope gives us some leeway is that a lot of Brits take the p*ss out of ourselves as much as, if not more than, we do anyone else!

Obviously you get the odd spat that is actually mean-spirited and when that happens, this particular limey is troubled no matter which side of the pond it's coming from. Sadly, genuine bigotry is not constrained by geography.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 29th Nov 2013 at 17:49.