PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skippers lose conquest at mine?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2003, 08:19
SmallGlassofPort

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apollo, I understand where you are coming from. Full time for those guys would make it easier. They would have a known income per week, sick leave etc etc.
The problem there is that they will probabily end up in the same situation anyway. Full time on M23 RHS (unless I'm wrong) is in the vicinity of 34K. I dont expect that much above the award would be payed (in comparison to the other skip postings). This known income therefore would equal or be slightly less than 3 casual days work.
With this in mind the effos will now be working 5 days a week and still possibly looking for the second barnicle bills job to cover bills, and even higher levels of fatigue.
On the point of the second job and the pilot left holding the ball after an accident/incident. I think YBRM has hit the nail on the head here. The effo is employed to complete a task, they have the choice to accept that task or not. Picture the following. I go out and party with friends all night long. I am responsible and do not drink. I do not get much sleep though and after four hours rest go flying. I stuff up during some emergency etc etc. In the end the company can wipe their hands of it as its my fault. What I do in my own time is up to me. It would be the same if I worked for barnicle all night.
Bear in mind that these guys are pretty lucky in that they are generally reasonably low time and do not stay in that position for long. My guess would be 18 months tops. Now you can call me old, ugly, jealous etc, but hey at their age and experience level I would have loved that sort of break in aviation. This is not to say I condone the conditions, I just dont think you can change it!