PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter damaged in car accident
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2013, 10:24
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
Shy

Actually a CP of an AOC company so yes. Seeing as you weren't there you cant make those comments. Perhaps he had permissions. I could name you hundreds of sites that a road is within 50 m of the landing site. I have a permanent exemption from the low flying rule, down to 60m for aerial photography and to zero when on loadlifting operations
Just getting permission to land a Huey in the middle of Sheffield from Lawrence at the Belgrano.
The problem wasn't the landing or the departure per se, he may well have had permissions to land and takeoff from there.
But look again at the video. Read the accident report. Then look at the video again and read between the lines of the pilot statement.
He stated that he was trying to land back to pick up a further passenger. The approach doesn't look like any successful approach I've ever seen.

What about the control of safety of persons on the landing site, which the CAA obviously mandate? I quote a few paragraphs from a typical permission I have here:

"The said helicopter shall not fly pursuant to this permission:

(iii) Unless that in the event of failure of a power unit the said helicopter could alight without danger to persons or property on the surface at any time.

(iv) Unless the Operator has ensured that adequate measures have been taken at the said site to ensure that the aircraft does not endanger persons or property on the ground.

(f) Any landing or takeoff shall not be made closer than 20 metres from any person, vehicle or structure".

That said, the incident didn't occur in UK. Different rules may apply.