PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2013, 23:01
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace as always you make a good point.

However, lest we forget this is GA. Of course in an ideal world every pilot would have a work out in the sim every six months, but its not possible. GA is fragile enough as is. So we must balance risk with reward.

I have said before give 10 pilots a PFL and 8 will not perform well, but the majority would survive were it for real. Most pilots flying twins will survive an engine failure, may be about the same number as will survive a tyre blowing at 70 mph on the motorway, but at least pilots are trained to deal with the emergency better than motorists.

So as always there are choices to be made. Increase the training significantly and there will be almost no private pilots left flying twins. Strangely in a "bad" accident year the fatality rate might actually be higher because the population is so small.

No, I think the risk reward analysis is about right. Of course the bar should be higher for commercial ops. - who ever said trust the average GA pilot with your life .

Ps I have a go at a few engine failures about every six months. If they arent up to standard I do some more and I know my instructor would insist if I didnt. Actually I think most instructors are pretty aware of the responsibility they have in letting loose a twin rated pilot, and on the whole do a pretty good job. Of course potentially the dangerous pilot is the one flying almost no hours between renewals who sets off in the 11 month and his luck runs out. However fortunately we are still asked to accept some element of personal responsibility. Inevitability some exbit less and fall into the low time high risk category.