PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2013, 21:28
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How was the aircraft operated for base training? I imagine it was a 'rocket-ship' with no payload and little fuel.
It was indeed! I have spoken to many Concorde pilots and most confirm the unexpected phenomenal climb rate at light weight in base training. They were briefed to level off at 1,500 feet but on their very first flights on the real aeroplane (it'd been all sim prior to that) some went way beyond. I'm told the record was 4,000 feet! One told me "I used to get it turning - that cooled things down!".

My one and only Concorde flight (G-BOAD) was Manchester to Paris via the Bay for 60,000 feet and M2. I was lucky enough to be in the jump seat for the entire flight so didn't suffer 'small window' limitations! My most memorable view was about 50,000' over South Wales looking through the windscreens. The whole of SW UK was visible on that glorious August day in 1999, with the scattered occasional cu looking as if they were on the ground! The bright yellow of the beaches around the coasts of Wales and England stand out in my memory, as well. As do other aeroplanes flying west-east very far below us!

At 60,000' the sky was amazing - dark blue fading to very dark overhead. And of course the curvature of the Earth clearly visible.

Despite flying interesting aeroplanes for well over 30 years myself, that flight in AD is a magnificent highlight I will never forget!

For those who want to sit in the P1 seat and try out those lovely cabin seats, come and see our G-BOAC at Manchester!