PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shine Aviation C208 crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2013, 13:54
porini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using this strip for several years. The planes ALWAYS land & take off from the same direction...(I'm pretty sure) west to east, into the wind! All my staff (who were present) know that as well!! They always taxi to the far west end of the strip, and then turn around, and take off to the east (I have flown so many times on this strip, can not even guess how many times); and its ALWAYS been that way, and never seen a plane take off the direction the Shine pilot took off that day. We ALL thought he would just taxi to the left, turn the plane around, and take off to our right (I was talking on my Sat phone at the time, and not paying much attention, as I thought he was just taxing). I'm not a licensed pilot (but have many, many hours experience flying in bush planes) but as we rushed to the crash site, I said what the *#@&! Why did he take off that way!!?? We were all shocked and could not believe it!

What do you find so funny about this scary, serious crash, in which nice people were injured, and very nearly killed??? What do you find so funny about noticing the wind direction with cigarette smoke????? There were also bush fires/smoke in the area that day, which any good bush pilot could, and should have seen. When the rescue plane came (Flightlink) with the two highly professional pilots, I talked to them. They wanted to know what I observed (although I got the impression from things they said, that they could see the whole entire story already). One Pilot was smoking a cigara, and said to me: "Look, you can see from my smoke which way you are supposed to take off! He took off the WRONG direction!" I said, "I know". Now, that is what a certified Caravan pilot told me. The wind that day was fairly stiff wind (not sure how many knots?), coming from the east., right to left from where we stood.
MY STAFF VERY BRAVELY risked their lives to pull out our client's very expensive rifles & luggage. They should be commended, not condemed! I thought the plane would explode at any moment and tried my best to call them back....but they were very brave & determined men and saved all his luggage!

The Co-pilot (who is a nice guy, and was very badly hurt) was very angry at the pilot, and privately told me he blamed him for the crash. He said that he told the pilot he was attemping a take off from wrong direction. He told me other things I will not repeat here. The co-pilot said this while being stitched up at Likawage Village local doctor.
The American client (who was injured himself) bravely assisted the Co-pilot (whom he at first thought was dead) and pulled him to safety. In the hospital at Dar, he was thanked by the co-pilot's mother & father for "Saving our son's life".

The American passenger told me the pilot (getting a ride back to Dar on the rescue flight) laughed & joked in Swahili, and whistled the whole fight. Very strange! The other American coming in on that fight that day, was introduced at Dar airport "This is your pilot". He told me he laughed because he thought they were joking. He related this guy "had a very sloppy appearance, with half shirt tail hanging out" and seemed un-talkative, etc.
There were other observations made regarding this pilot, but were deleted by the moderator. So I won't discuss it here.
Yes, I have many photos, and may try post later. But I want to give them first to the American passenger.
Either you dont know that much about bush aviation, or don't know how to read. Perhaps both?