PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2013, 13:50
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 years of iconic history?

Come off it or more correctly, get your hand off it.

QF has existed by operating under a sheltered work shop system for many,many decades. They always insured that "I'm all right ,Jack cause I work for the Guvment". Government protection made poor management no hindrance and let us not forget that Qantas did play its part in the Dispute and in the demise of Ansett . If VA were in a difficult position, QF would again plunge the sword in, without hesitation.

What does QF actually do for Australia that necessitates it to be saved by the government? Does it fly locally made aircraft, maintain aircraft locally and exclusively use Australian fuel? Nope.
Yes it employs people but, so would whatever company replaces it.

If it makes a profit remember a good deal goes offshore now.
It does however ask Australians to fly in generally old and poorly maintained aircraft, put up with second rate service and cr.p food. You are also requested to pay top prices for that.
I say that the Australian public have been saving QF, via their hip pocket, for many years.

Unfortunately for QF, the vultures are circling and people start talking about iconic history and "national Carrier" or "national pride".
Tough, the time has come!

Saw this coming when they first started Jet*