PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2013, 18:26
Chriswatters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Training over 46

Hi Guys,

I am making initial enquires into a second career as a commercial pilot. However, I do have concerns about my age (46) and how this will be received in the industry and my ability to find work as a First Officer. From my reading I understand that there is officially no upper age limit (given a reasonable retirement age). I am trying to gauge what the reality would be if I went ahead with the training.

To give you some background , In February 2014 I will leave the British Army after 28 years. I am an Officer in the rank of Major and academically I have a MSc Disaster Management and I am a graduate of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. I am a British Citizen, I have the ability to self finance and I am in very good health. Given this, I understand that I am technically able to apply. My question is, would an airline want to employ a 48 year old First Officer with no experience given this as a second career. A second question is, do you know if many have taken this route and been successful.

I am under no illusions of the career progression prospects and although not impossible, achieving Captain maybe a stretch given the 15 or so years of employability I would have in the industry. This is not my driver. My motivation is that of to fly (and of course earn a reasonable wage). This is a life ambition that I only now have the opportunity to achieve.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some clarity on my ambition or at least your opinion in order for me to make an informed decision.

Regards,