PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett F27 - Baggage Handler Killed 1975
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2013, 12:47
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nasty indeed.

F27 props carry a lot of inertial mass.

I do recall a TN LAME despatching TQR on freighter duty ex HBA accidentally reversed the ground power into the prop on No. 2 after disconnecting.

The cart was virtually eaten by the prop and even though no shrapnel hit him directly some hit the back of the Toyota tug seat and caused internal injuries that were the end of him.

TQR was ferried back to MEL with holes in the fuselage from the shrapnel at under 10000 feet by a different crew. The guys on the flight deck that night were traumatised as we can imagine.

One incident at Wynyard that sticks in my mind was with Col Smith, an elder statesman porter that some of the older ex F27 pilots may remember. Col at that time was well over 70 and part time portered for us at TN. Little bloke and blocky build but strong as an ox.

Col came around the nose of the F27 and headed toward the steps that had just been put in place. No. 1 prop was still turning and Col was wearing an Akubra style hat as he always did.

I hit the tarmac with him less than a foot from walking straight into it, nearly wound down but still slowly spinning. I had no hope to even call out, but the Gods were smiling on Col. A blade tipped the front brim of the hat and the next one tipped the rear as he walked through.

Unbelievable - God must have been on his side. I still get the horrors thinking of it.

All my staff in later years were taught to NEVER walk through the plane of rotation of a propeller. it doesn't matter if the engines are shut down or not - JUST DON'T GO THERE. It is a bit distressing watching the guys here and in MEL and elsewhere just floating through the plane of rotation without a thought.

Maybe that is another thing that has been lost through the years.

Quel domage.

best all

EWL