PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question from parent
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2013, 22:13
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would counsel you to be extremely wary of replies by "i'm new here" respondents.

you have only a 50% chance of securing a job after making a huge investment......that's literally the odds of a coin-toss.
Ifyour son turns out to be a natural "sky-god" with the right personality to be a close fit with the proposed country, it's people, culture, climate and ethics,- the odds will be considerably shortened....feel lucky ? want to punt evens on 100,000 pounds?....if so, -go for it.

Were I in your position and determined to pay a huge sum for a Commercial license, Id seriously consider the "independent " route.......the basic license will be acceptable to any decent putative employer, if you pay for a type-rating, it's yours you can take it, and your basic skillset to any other airline.....If you're that good and there actually is a world-wide shortage of Pilots when this young man "graduates", he'll find ready employment.

Reading these Aviation forums (Fora?) one quickly forms the view that the only shortage is of trainees wit several thousand quid to punt on a dream.

Be very very cautious and research thoroughly before commiting to that sort of debt with such a huge risk of most of it being money down the drain.

Not a retired pilot, so the above advice could well be worth what you paid for it.

on the other hand, it may save you from a "penny wise, 100K foolish " decision.