PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 100 and 200 SIDS
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2013, 18:55
Syd Chrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sids......

Me_3. The Dates for completion are in the documents.....I have gone back and forth with CASA on this over the past many months. Unfortunately the way the Regs are written in Aust makes it all grey but in the eyes of CASA....Extract as follows:

However, CAR 42V requires persons undertaking maintenance (including inspections) to do so in accordance with applicable maintenance data. CAR 2A(2)(c) defines such data to include instructions issued by manufacturers of aircraft, components and materials.

In CASA’s view, SIDs are manufacturer’s instructions which, for the purposes of maintaining continuing airworthiness of an aircraft, must be considered by the Registered Operator, and if applicable to their aircraft, complied with regardless of the schedule under which the aircraft is maintained.

Registered Operator’s would need to have a pretty convincing argument as to why they did not consider the incorporation of SIDs to be necessary on their aircraft i.e. particularly in relation to a Coronial Inquiry.

I personally can think of no such argument.

You won't find the mandate for SIDs in an AD (yet) but it is in the Service Manual as SIDs is part of that manual. Even new Caravans, New 182s etc have SIDs as part of the maintenance schedule from brand new. Some people are going to a younger than 20 years old airframe to avoid SIDs. You may avoid some cost in doing the inspection but the inspection applies to all aircraft - even from new. Cessna have a very good tech rep in Australia and for clarification and to hear Cessna's point of view....give Mark a call. If anyone wants his contact details pm me.
Cheers
SC