PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2013, 14:43
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
BOAC: I said nothing about the WoW - ground issue, only a passing comment on a clipping/filtering of the AoA signal, and was making a different point, when Dozy chose to take a point out of context and run with it. Since he didn't bother to read the post for comprehension, I thank you for pointing out that step toward Oozlum land.
Gretchenfrage's point on the culture and cultural assumptions behind aircraft and system design are a point well made.

Look at the cultural assumption made in designing the A330, and the presupposition that no pilots will have the aircraft at 60 knots at altitude. (AoA signal clipped/filtered ... ) (LW_note in retrospect: Maybe I should have phrased that "henceAoA signal clipped/filtered) That pilots won't stall a passenger liner at 35,000 feet.

This cultural assumption leads to how the testing and training are developed and funded. 228 dead ... no Koreans at the helm.
The Korean bash that I responded to was what the point of my post was, not AoA/WoW interface or any of that.

Again, thanks for pointing out how far afield things can go when not correctly understood ... gee, I wonder if that isn't a metaphor for AF447 and the concept of pitch and power ...

@ Winnerhofer, axe grinding noted. Did your ancestors fight in the Schlacht im Teutoburger Wald.

@ Piltdown Man:
Therefore the joint objective of all airlines should be to bring the teams skills of playing video games to the airline world.
Isn't that already happening?
I'll will suggest that the winning Korean team had a very flat command gradient.
You are probably right.
And if this attribute of a successful team can taken on board so to speak, then they'll be in a position to win in flying operations.
Indeed. There is one small problem with the template: in these RTS games, or MOBA games, everyone on the team is involved and has their attention keyed and alert states at a high level. Quite the opposite of automation dependent pilots with lowered alert states.

EDIT to add:

Automation dependence and cockpit gradient problems are not unique to Korean operations, which is why I dragged AF447 into the conversation there about Asiana. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 25th Nov 2013 at 15:40.