PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing as a career, can it work part time?
Old 25th Nov 2013, 10:56
overhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it for a few years on the east coast - I had a very stable student base (most of whom worked during the week and flew weekends) - I was always booked out a couple weeks in advance.

I loved getting away from my Mon to Fri job and enjoying the flying on weekends. I noted the aero club environment a lot more interesting instructing than the commercial schools I started instructing in - there was so much more variety in students - many of whom are now friends. Being able to stop off for fish and chips with the student up the Qld coast in the middle of a nav was just one highlight of that sort of environment.

Unfortunately I gave it all away when I had kids - it gets fatiguing working 7 days a week for a few years and in the end my family came first but if I was in the same position I'd do it all again.

On a side note some others recommended night flying - I use to do a bit of night work but don't underestimate fatigue and also that your mind will likely be on your day job - the last thing you want is to be tired and distracted at 2100 in the pitch black while your student is navigating and landing for the first time in the dark - when you likely have limited night experience yourself. It might work in a charter environment where you're likely IFR with the ability to shoot an approach and land yourself but teaching a student properly in that state is a challenge.

Best of luck with the flying.