PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA's long-haul cutbacks at LGW
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2001, 21:04
Flightrider

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Take the Cup,
BA operated twice-weekly 767 services to Almaty throughout 2000 and, according to the CAA stats (which you can obtain yourself from www.caaerg.co.uk) carried the sum total of 20,364 passengers last year between Gatwick and Almaty.

52 weeks x 2 roundtrips x 178 seats per sector x 2 sectors per roundtrip = 37,024 pax. 20,364 pax = load factor of 55%.

Bear in mind that the market has deteriorated in the last few months. It's probably the case that the route was unprofitable. What would you rather, BA keep flying something and lose bucketloads on it, or stop it and hand the route over to a franchise which might be able to make money on it?

I wouldn't bother anyway - it probably won't be too long before BA start out to buy BMed.

In terms of other long-haul cuts at Gatwick, some of the AML routes are stopping (as referred to above). Nairobi, Seychelles are reverting to Heathrow this winter(and I think Dar es Salaam and Entebbe as well, but I could be wrong). You may also see one or two routes being stopped completely.

Before anyone asks, I don't work for BA.