PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Static Charge?
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2013, 08:21
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Papua New Guinea, late 80's, we had a ground-handler who had been working loads for about a week before he encountered the 'hook of shock'!

He was pretty efficient at hooking-up loads and would waste no time in reaching-out for the hook in order to slide the D-bolt 'shackle' (attached to the load ropes) through the hook's keeper.

As was the norm for the PNG highlands, rain showers abounded, and with less manoeuverability than would be so without a load, one sometimes couldn't avoid penetrating the edges of the lighter showers.

Returning from such a trip I sailed in to uplift a new load when upon arrival I saw the loadsman jump back after grabbing the hook followed by a sharp glance skywards where, even from 100ft, it was clear to see that he was not pleased.

Pressing on, the load was hooked-up and, 20 or so minutes later I was back for more when to my surprise the loadsman had armed himself with a stick and was now stabbing at the hook in a display which reminded me of the staircase sword-fighting scene between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone from 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1938).

It have to say that I had a wee chuckle at his expense but, thereafter landed and explained to him that the present weather was building-up a charge on the aircraft (not that I think he understood this) and that he should allow me to 'ground' the hook before he grabbed it.

On his day off he turned-up at the exploration camp in his full tribal regalia and of which visit I have a photo somewhere!