PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lancaster found.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2013, 07:57
Mr Mac

Received 169 Likes on 104 Posts
Unhappy

I took my own father back to his crash site in 3rd Oct 2003 on the aniv of his his shooting down on 3rd Oct 1943 SW of Kassel. The German investigators who I contacted on the net were brilliant. They met us and took us to the field where his plane has crashed and indeed Halifax S-Sugar of 428Sq was still coming out of the ground, and we found bits with a metal detector. Also they introduced my father to a German gentleman (then a young boy) who on the night of the crash held my fathers hand and stopped him walking back into the burning a/c, as he had come down with the plane having been trapped in his turret, and was suffering temp blindness. He was lucky that the tail section broke free of the main airframe but unfortunately the pilot and another member of crew died in the impact. They insisted my father took other parts they had found earlier home with us so he has the compass gimbal, and engine builders plate, and some exploded cartridges.

Only problem we had was that we only had carry on luggage on the trip and X-Ray showed up these items with resultant search. German security where great commenting that the British had learned about recycling, and joking with my Dad about flying on the aniv of being shot down and waved us through. BA security where unfortunately not so forgiving and wanted to confiscate his relics, and it was only after I asked for the station manager to be called that we were reluctantly allowed through with the items. At the time I was Gold card flyer with them otherwise I do not think S - Sugar,s bits would have got home.

I would just like to say that if anyone is interested in the crash sites of relations a/c in Germany there is a net work of individuals who actively look for these sites and in my experience are really great and caring people. The only hope I had at the time was that if the roles were reversed, and a German family came to the UK to look for say a JU 88 crash site they would receive the same treatment, I sadly do not think that would be the case.

Regards
Mr Mac