PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Crash near Moomba
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 20:45
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
i am concerned by what appear to be the separation of the outer and inner portions of the flaperon. as both should be joined by a small plate effectively creating a full span single piece flaperon.
Yes I am concerned about the wings. The wings on this Savannah appear to be swept forward.

Maybe the wings were attached correctly until relatively recently - till roughly the time of impact?

I wonder if the same impact changed the alignment of a few other things, such as the ailerons/Flaperons?

As for the turn into/out of the wind and its evil aerodynamic effects, it was best debunked by Peter Garrison when he wrote a piece in Flying about travelling in planes and trains - he would get up to walk around the train, and every time he turned towards the front of the train he was fine but every time he turned towards the back he fell over because suddenly the train was travelling at 100mph in the opposite direction to him.

The trick is, DF, that in an aeroplane you perceive that the aeroplane is skidding, relative to the ground, and unconsciously tighten the turn or cross up the controls or both.

The mis-perception is all the more likely at low level because you are closer to the earth and the relative motion is all the more aparrent.

People seem to worry about mid-air collisions with aeroplanes, which are quite small and hard to see - but in my casual observance it is far more common to have a mid-air collision with a planet, a much larger object and one that (you might suppose) is more easily avoided.