PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need Ideas for Christmas for an Aviation-Mad 13-17 year old?
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 14:51
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
rafa YOUTH aims to: encourage volunteering/support; promote youth development through an air-related environment; increase awareness of RAFA and its role/purpose; and perhaps most importantly, do something that is fun and enjoyable for young people.
Please don't take this the wrong way, this is a genuine question!

I'm an ex RAF member and the son of a very dedicated RAFA member (in fact my father was collecting for the RAFA in his wheelchair, the last time I saw him alive; he was one of their most avid collectors of public donations).

However, as the father of a young air cadet, I must ask how this is supposed to fit in with the existing structure of the ATC organisation because that is exactly what they do already!

My child (a cadet sergeant) is involved almost every weekend doing those same things with the air cadets, apart from dealing directly with the RAFA. In fact I have just seen her off for the weekend - she is one of five ATC cadets (and the only female) representing the ATC organisation in a national competition.

If cadets were to join the RAFA youth I forsee an immediate conflict of interest.