PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 11:13
flyboy_nz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was merely stating that based on the facts that Lion had decided this was the way they wanted to recruit it was a good opportunity for those that could afford to get in. whether its the correct way, the right way etc is not the point I was making, the point I was making was that this was a good opportunity
Good opportunity, yes for sure in the short run. Have you thought of the long run on how p2f is gonna effect the entire industry. Instead of them paying us, we are paying them. How low can we go? But you're too short sighted for that because as long as your neck is above the water, who cares if everyone else is drowning. Little do you realise the entire ship is sinking.

in 2003 I graduated with a CPL, MECIR but no ATPL theory credits
after that I took an Instructor rating and started working as a grade 3 instructor this was terrible, the school had far too many instructors and any full time students that actually flew on a regular basis the CFI or chief pilot would teach, I literally had 2-3 students that wanted to fly on weekends and either they would cancel on me at the last minute, the weather was bad or some other lame excuses, I was at that school 2 years and only made around 300 hours!!
Mate, we have all been down that road. I did 10 hrs in my first month as an instructor. By end of the same year, I had clocked 500 hrs as an instructor and that too working in a small aero club that was against the big sausage factories and without any international students. Why did I do so well? Because for me, instructing wasn't just a mean to build hours for the airlines. I did it for the passion of flying and to teach it to other people. It came out naturally and I became very good at it. I did it for three years with almost 2000hrs, and I made sure the aero club got something in return for giving me the opportunity to work for them. Customer service goes a long way in any industry. I am still welcomed back by my old boss and I sure will when I retire from the airlines.

I am doing the turbo prop gig now and management on the side. Absolutely loving it. The airlines can wait. I will first repay this company for the opportunity they have given me to work for them and how? Improving their safety record, improving customer relationships and building a customer base. Yes, a pilot can actually do this. They did it in the old days when commercial aviation was new and the pilots were trying to win people over to fly instead of taking the ferry/ships. I enjoy interacting with my pax. I run bang on time ( the schedule). I have a perfect safety record. I have cancelled flights and yet the boss loves me, cos I will go out of my way to make sure that the pax are looked after. And this is in Indo, not New Zealand.

I have three resumes in front of me for three different airlines I can apply for. All in three different regions of the world on three different aircrafts, different cultures, languages. How awesome is that! Not one requires me to pay a single cent. Yet, I will give it all up just for a chance to fly turbo-props in Nepal.

Just last weekend, met a girl who's working in HR for one of the major airlines. She wants my resume and can get me an interview in two months time (I am gonna reward her for that). It's not a race. Life will be gone by the time you get there. And no, adjusting fuel management/cost index on a FMC is not an achievement. Even monkeys can do that. Only issue is they pay to do it these days.

fellow Aussie came to our base and offered his services free of charge, he had paid for his rating, paid for 50 hours of time in the states and now wanted to work for free to build time! I was let go a few weeks later.
So, you should step down to his level and pay for 100 hours and get your job back? Get over it, find another job and a company who will appreciate you. Although that is a two way street.

so in a nut shell that's my life over the last 10 years, but if an opportunity to bypass all the pain and suffering I went through to get to this 737 I would have taken it if I had the money, if I didn't someone else would have, and that is the value of money, I almost gave up a couple of times as I was just in some terrible conditions but I carried on and got my reward.
Pain and suffering yes in the short run. But those are the things that made you who you are today. No pain, no gain. I have had my share of trials and hardships, but life is going pretty smooth these days. But those dark moments has given me experience and maturity. Yet, I still have so much to learn. So many places to go, so many planes to fly. And heck, I am a pilot, dealing with sh!t with a smile is a natural habit for us.