PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Aircraft 'Emergency' Landing
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 22:44
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Don't shoot the messenger!'

esquire2012:
There has to be a better way than the farce of Senate Estimates. More interested in finding a scapegoat (someone should get the bullet), than finding the underlying problems (job of the ATSB really) and providing the political means and ways to rectify it (duty to the public that elect and pay them)
Hood having to deal with (self confessed) cantankerous old buggers like Heff may seem like a WOFTAM to us uninitiated and if your hanging on a issue of personal concern it can be frustrating to watch but perhaps you are underestimating the nature of the beast??

Here was a significant aviation incident that, as is documented throughout this thread, caused some serious debate about several underlying safety issues hidden within the layers of swiss cheese. However this thread died a natural death nearly 4 months ago.

However now it is brought to our attention again and is officially back on the public record, courtesy of the Senators.

framer:
It seems to me that the Chair is very quick to jump to the conclusion that the Captain made a blatantly poor decision and that he doesn't have a solid understanding of the subject he is commenting on.
He needs to realise that all decisions are based on information and if that information is corrupted, or inaccurate, the quality of the decision is affected.
Nail on head framer and I couldn't agree more but what the chair and Senator X have effectively done is put several DIP government agencies on notice. One of those (ASA) has made a firm and direct committment (courtesy of Hood) to investigate internally, monitor the bureau investigation and action the ATSB final conclusions/recommendations once released. How can that not be a win, win for everyone, although I'll continue to hold reservations about the final report...