PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 20:49
Ye Olde Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better pity the Norfolk Police commissioner found fiddling his expenses.
BBC News - Norfolk PCC Stephen Bett pays back more than £3,000 in expenses

And the story below is the tip of the iceberg. Many have employed friends and family on the gravy train. If you think a police helicopter costing thousands is justified to trace a boat than can only travel at about five knots we had better get NATO in for stolen cars and burglaries.(Whoops..sorry those are solved with crime numbers)
A police and crime commissioner who claimed more than £3,000 for driving between his home and his official headquarters is to pay the money back.

Stephen Bett, PCC for Norfolk, claimed for 70 trips from his home to the offices in Wymondham.

He said he had done nothing wrong but would return the money so that the controversy would not "tarnish the reputation of policing in Norfolk".

He said he would no longer claim mileage for those journeys.

Mr Bett, a former Conservative county councillor and Norfolk Police Authority chairman, was elected as independent PCC a year ago on an annual salary of £70,000.

On taking up the post, he designated his home at Thornham, near Hunstanton, as his workplace, and claimed mileage expenses when travelling from there on PCC business.

From November 2012 to August 2013, he claimed a total of £4,947.75 in mileage expenses.

Of that, £3,024 was solely for the 96-mile round trip from his home to the headquarters in Wymondham.

For each of these 70 trips, he received £43.20.

Richard Murphy, a chartered accountant and economist, said the claims were not tax-allowable and could not be justified.

Jon Harvey, a Labour town councillor in Buckingham and a blogger on PCCs, said he was "stunned and surprised" at Mr Bett's mileage claims and described them as a "kamikaze move".

After the BBC broke the story, Mr Bett issued a statement saying he would pay back the money.

"On election I took advice on how and what I could claim and have followed that advice to the letter. I do not believe I have done anything wrong.

"I was absolutely clear from the start that my personal office would be my home and this was checked and cleared by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Norfolk and my accountant.

"As far as I am concerned this was all transparent and above board."