PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 20:11
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Angel Safety

Good morning African Eagle

Thanks for your opinion......... I like it there is no doubt, that wearing a helmet may grant you a life extension given certain crash situations. I know of guys with double my experience/time with many emergency landings without so much as a scar one grand gentleman has had 12 engine failures, still healthy, still flying I guess your Karma has something to play here too

One question though just how far do we take this? Body armour? Fullface helmet would be far more safer than an open face (which you probably wear). Reinforced steel capped boots? Training schools don't use & that is seriously dangerous flying

I guess it's a question of degrees & just how far you wanna take it? Look at motorbike riders (I'm one) some opt to ride only with an open face helmet & running shoes - right through to heavily guarded knee high boots, full body armour, shoulder & elbow guard, full face mx helmet etc. etc. pick something that is legal & that YOU are comfortable with.....do your best, fly safe & leave the rest to.........

(sadly) I know of 4 great Pilot's that died in crashes all wearing a helmet, if they didn't wear one they'd still be dead, justify wearing one in these stats? & a Pilot that is in a wheel chair today wishing he hadn't worn one?

I for one simply never 'tossed a coin' to get into nor stay flying......flying like the drive to the Helipad has many risks, which we all need to calculate & manage. When your Son goes out to train he won't be issued a helmet by his FI then be climbing into a Robisnson

Thanks again for your thoughts

May the debate continue

Happy Landings

VF

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 21st Nov 2013 at 20:22.