PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MT big brother AKA Trimble
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 05:36
Once A Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this will sound geeky, but.......whilst I was still in I thought I would have some fun with the MT role office since they introduced this system without consulting other functional areas as they were supposed to. So I asked for the safety case that showed that the commercially available GSM (mobile phone) based technology met prescribed safety protocols for electrical and transmitting equipment in explosive areas. When they couldn't, I pointed out that it is illegal under UK law to use a mobile phone at a petrol station, against Mil safety rules to do so in an explosive atmosphere area (flight line) and against explosive regs to do so in an ESA or indeed to have non-safe electrical items. The arm and CIS role offices then got very involved, especially when I got OC Eng to threaten having all the equipment removed on explosive safety grounds.......upshot was all the armourer vehicles and those allocated to the flying squadrons were trimble free at a secret AD base in Lincolnshire. I've been gone from the base/Service for 12months+ so don't know if its still the case, but would like to think that my sucessor maintained the same stance.

I'm all for improving safety, but if something is worth doing - do it properly otherwise it becomes a false 'safety blanket' or as with trimble, mis-used.

Last edited by Once A Brat; 21st Nov 2013 at 05:37. Reason: missing word added