PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well done to UK senior officers!
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2003, 06:25
solotk

I bloody well knew it

Why keep them in massed formations in the desert, to be bombed to ******* by B-52's? Do we think he hasn't learnt his lesson from last time? I'd be interested to know, if the formations we have been bombing, are the same size as compositions in GW1? How do we know, that his Tanks and BDR's/BMP's arent parked in domestic garages in towns?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2897327.stm

Sergeant Duane Gardner, of the Queen's Royal Lancers, said: "Civilians tell us that the militia have piled into Basra.

"All their kit, their army - apparently the tanks are hidden in the shop windows and under car parks."

KBF

Point 1, agreed to some extent, but I think Saddam, or whoever is really running the show, will just give the impression of bolstering around known lines. I think he's using the sandstorm to move not armour, but light columns, in commercial vehicles. Have you noticed how much traffic is still rolling around Iraq? the armour is staying where he needs it. yes, elements of the 3rd line are getting sacrificed T-55's et al , but I think that's to maintain the illusion. The best troops and equipment, are still to be committed. Agreed about the force commitment to policing at this stage too, but I suspect, it would be a bit higher than 50%

Point 2.

Agreed, but time is a constraint. The rabble rousers are busy around the Middle East. how long, before we see truckloads of volunteers? I believe the first buses have already left, with the martyr volunteers. An arab led humanitarian effort, has to be started, and well publicised, not the disgrace we saw in Safawan the other day.

The bare facts are, we haven't got enough troops in theatre , to comfortably achieve the stated objective, whatever it is this week, be it Regime change/WMD removal/Humanitarian aid. We just haven't got enough bodies on the ground. You and I know people are getting frustrated, with what is rapidly turning into a hot sandy KFOR operation. Get the UN involved now, let's get some Arab blue berets on the ground in small numbers, to gain some trust, and move the focus back on to ending this.

Sorry, bit simplistic, but the Cider is going down well