PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 380 loses engine, goes 5000 miles
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 02:20
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WK

There is no confusion. Your analysis might be correct, but what a lot of contributors are saying, and what a lot of 4-potters keep brushing under the table, is that when an incident occurs, it might be contained for a while, seemingly under control, but it can turn into a uncontained/multiple incident in a whim.

The tendency on 4-holers to continue simply because they are allowed is what is on discussion (not their superiority to twins).
tdracer brought up some troubling facts, i brought up my admittedly controversial conclusion.

Concerning QF32, the problem was nicely handled. It could however have turned into a tragedy in a fraction of a second. The SR111 accident showed how fast an incident turns into a catastrophe. The fact that they stayed up in the air for so long is discussed, not only lauded, but they stayed close to a runway all the time, could abort the ECAM frenzy at any moment helped them.

The question remains is if they would have continued for multiple hours? No, certainly not, it looked too serious. But where to draw the line for continued operation with one incident? Where does the statistics and Murphy put the chances of an escalation, even an unrelated one like tdracer brings up, that suddenly puts you in an uncomfortable (QF) situation?

The more i read these contributions, the more i feel that a twin , even under ETOPS, represents an almost safer operation. At least we/they go down asap and by that eliminate more of Mr. Murphy and the ugly stats ........
Take this statement with a pinch of salt though!