PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From airline to corporate jet pilot
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 23:43
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed, wrong assumption.

Average sector for me is about 2.5 hours in an aircraft capable of over 12. I am just a taxi driver and thats fine - I'm paid well and am home half the year. I like sorting the fuel and the catering and the permits and the flightplans and unblocking the sink and fannying about doing updates and not having a clue where I am going next and arguing with someone with gold braid as to whether I needed a visa before I entered his country and finding sneaky ways to circumvent a slot and haggling over parking costs and all the other aspects of corporate flying that make it interesting.

Have a think about why you want to go corporate. Its a funny old world with some very strange characters and some truly excellent colleagues and you meet very interesting passengers and have a lot of fun. I have passed through over 500 airports and stayed in countless cities which I constantly seem to find dodgy bars in and I think the variety is what keeps corporate pilots interested in the job. Most corporate jobs are shaky and easy to lose on the whim of an owners decision or the marginal economics of a small company but I can't imagine thats all that different to the airlines nowadays.

Come on over to the dark side...