PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 20:56
silverknapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when I did my UK mep rating there was very little discussion on options. The course was geared towards controlling it on one and climbing away at blue line. This was on a Cougar which was a very poor performer.

I train at flightsafety in the US on a Baron sim every year where there is much more discussion and demonstration of various options. It reinforces in me how uncontrollable the airplane is when the live engine is at max chat and the speed is too slow. We do practical demonstrations of Vmca and try various methods of getting out of a tight spot. I consider this invaluable and learn more here every year than I ever did on my initial training. I was reluctant to do it at first, I fly for a living and had considered my annual JAA mep renewal a formality given that it's just for weekend flying. However having done it for a few years this way I feel more prepared than I ever did doing just the basic box ticking exercise it has become. It also cements my opinion that mep flying is the most difficult of anything I have done be it in pistons, turboprops or jets.

The only mep I fly now is the Baron, in various guises from 55 up to brand new G58. I am grateful for this, as the difference between this and the old Cougar I learned on is night and day.