PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy 40th Birthday Bulldog XX553, ULAS '07'
Old 20th Nov 2013, 20:39
ABL262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very big thank you to all contributors and call sign suggestions

Dear All:
I would like to extend my personal thanks to all ULAS (and OUAS) alums who have sent me their stories, log book entries and some absolutely cracking photographs of Bulldog XX553.

Some amazing anecdotes from those whose first flight was in XX553 and who went on to enjoy fantastic careers in the RAF or elsewhere. Infraboy and Satellite Driver are definitely neck-and-neck in the Best Photo category so far unless Ken S or others can do better!

And yes, Crandons, I remember HRH's time with us at Easter Camp well - I wonder if he flew in XX553? The new CO being his Royal Equerry was no coincidence!

Well spotted also on the call-sign - it reminds me of the great times on the squadron and "Lima 262 final" used to roll off the tongue nicely at the end of a long flight.

I am trying to get XX553 registered in the US as N-L262 for the same reason, but the FAA won't budge on their rule that the first three characters have to be numbers. "262 Lima" doesn't seem the same to me. I am currently holding N-553X which would be shortened to "53 X-ray" on the R/T whereas N-553XX would be shortened to "3 X-ray, X-ray" which seemed a bit of a mouthful. I am open to any meaningful call-sign suggestions for XX553.

Keep those stories and photos coming!

Many thanks,

ABL262