PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 19:26
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TD & Dozy,

it's sort of a trick question in that....

ALL AOA data, both HUD (BAE) & PFDs is independent of the 2 ADR modules. (However there are other HUDs that have that annoying ADR/AOA dependence for AOA display.) Same with FPVs. This aircraft PFDs always display it and have FPV capability regardless of type HUD.

The green band is the non weight based AOA for the weight based approach speed with appropriate flaps out. The tick is as TD says the onset of the shaker. The PFD also has a PLI (pitch limit indicator) that corresponds to the 'tick' AOA.

The maximum digital readout one can see in an FFS is around 30.5 degrees, this with BOTH ADR modules failed, no air data. I think it's limited by the fact the aircraft just won't sustain more than that, unlike the 330. However that could just be the point it pegs for any AOA above 30.5, until AOA is reduced, a system somewhat I believe like RetF4 envisions. I wouldn't trust the sim much beyond this point however....yet.

IMO, contrary to some opinion, it is emminently easy to utilize as a performance instrument, not a control instrument, the data is already in the box and it just takes some OPC pin activation and CDS enabling to display it.

And you don't have to ever look at it if it's otherwise objectionable to you. We know who you are.