PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 19:01
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chair - I call the ATSB.

Poor old Beaker, hardly got comfy and the seat warmed up when:-

Estimates Hansard – P.71 PDF - P. 67 Hansard.(My bold)
Senator FAWCETT: You recently released a report about the crash of the ABC helicopter, which I commend you for. I am a little disturbed when I look back at the report about the helicopter that crashed off the Queensland coast some years ago—basically it was a controlled flight into water, with the understanding that there had been disorientation. Very similar recommendations came out of that in terms of changing the regulations to look at either augmentation of stability systems or two crew, et cetera. What gives you confidence that we will see action in response to this latest report when clearly nothing occurred in response to your last report?
Here is where the pictures were brilliant – Now, I don't know whether the poor man had wind, or if the bloke alongside has just let rip. But I got a top screen shot of his face, (I regret NFP here). The print, now a glossy, framed 8" x 10" is to be hanged (yes) behind the bar of the BRB favourite watering hole; priceless. Last evening a small but elegant group gathered to witness Beaker being hanged in effigy; FWIW he had a good send off and if that mans ears were not burning, it's not our fault.

One item of business was to examine a couple or three rumours floating about the place:-

Rumour 1 : Truss, under advice from MM will extend the Mc Comick tenure.

Supporting : There really is no one in CASA who could be trusted to fill the role. The review is not scheduled to report until May. The ToR call for a review of the appointment process and criteria applicable to key roles in the ATSB and CASA. In order to provide some certainty the job (s) can be advertised immediately on vacancy. Truss, probably on Mrdak's advice, would be contemplating extending the contract until at least the review panel completes its work. Perhaps the government's consideration and response to the senate inquiry will have some bearing, particularly if the AFP find that CASA has a case to answer in respect of the potential breach of the TSI Act.

Rumour 2 : The current minister saying the review won’t be working over individual complaints or investigating 'cold cases' and is actively working to prevent 'looking back', i.e. Pel Air is a cold case, historical value only, academic and; on the public record.

Supporting : The words published in Hansard, the passage of play between Sinodinos and the Senators sort of highlights what the minister wants and the Senators determination not to have Pel Air swept under the rug.

Against: Any solution that doesn’t recognise endemic moral corruption won’t be a credible solution. If the review won’t recognise that symptom then it doesn’t recognise that what was going on yesterday is exactly what’s going on today. This takes us to what will be going on tomorrow, unless there’s a re-casting of roles and players with numerous retirements.

Having concluded the debate, a last order was taken and a minute of silent contemplation of the Beaker effigy was attempted, alas this degenerated into ribald hilarity. The BRB executive committee proposed there and then that another, similar picture could be hanged alongside. But the Nays had it, remarkable really; happy to raise the odd glass to Beaker but the idea of 'tuther fellah's picture parked on the pub wall could not even raise a smile.