PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From airline to corporate jet pilot
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 18:52
surplus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What next .......
It is not the flying hours that make you proficient, but the number of sectors/take-offs/landings. Sitting in the middle of Europe, we rarely fly longer than one hour legs, which means that in my 300 - 350 hours I do almost 400 approaches and landings. At least twice as many as most longhaul pilots who fly straight and level for 1000 hours per year!
Kudos to you, sir. I couldn't agree more! Hours are not the appropriate criteria but rather what one does in those hours. Thanks for pointing that out .... I just got carried away as it were.

[Caveat: If one flys from NY to Paris or London to Dubai it takes just as much straight and level in a G550 as it does in a B787. Most folks flying around in large business aircraft are not flying one-hour sectors. That kind of short-haul flying is more suited to a Cessna or a Hawker].

Now about the chauffer stuff ..... I don't mean to disparage chauffers; a good one is worth his weight in gold, especially if you own a Rolls. It's just that I prefer to be a pilot.

Last edited by surplus1; 20th Nov 2013 at 19:03.