PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 18:19
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustle

I have about 3000 hrs in light twins of various types as well as an engine failure at grosse at 200 feet in the climb out in a Seneca 4 with 100 hrs total.
I now fly as a captain on Business Jets.
The Seneca failure was 3 sheared Rocker shafts, I estimated about 30% power and had awful vibrations.
Instinctively I knew with the weight if I feathered the prop and went for blue line the only way I was going was down.
Instead I elected to put one hand on the prop lever incase the whole shooting match blew and use that 30% power to coax a climb.
I got up to 800 feet agl very slowly by which time the unit was vibrating to bits and had to shut it down in level flight and then to a successful landing on one.
Was that taught to you to use every bit of available power or shut down?

Failure at 300 feet were you taught to ignore blue line and concentrate on level flight (most airfields are not in direct line of high terrain and will take a 300 foot circuit)

Unless the training has changed since the good old days I doubt it

There should be a whole host of possible scenarios looked at for training in light twins as well as the lateral thinking in making the right choice instead of the dogged blue line like a zombie at all costs which sadly lead to such a bad accident rate in multi engine light twins.
if you hold blue line you will be ok you may even descend at blue line but sadly most go short on blue and then its down hill all the way in every sense

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 20th Nov 2013 at 18:34.