PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 17:11
Roooob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would anyone with any sense apply for this programme?

Now I'd love to be a pilot as much as the next guy, but this is taking the pee!

1. The security bond. £84,000 is probably more money that you'll ever have in your bank account at any one point in your life. You'll probably have to get a loan for it which will require you to pay back the month after you take it out in installments (see point 2). I know that with the BA secured one, you get a 24 month repayment window, however it's still a huge amount. Ok it's not paid all in one go, but that doesn't really make a difference.

2. You don't earn a salary whilst training. You'll be expected to train full time so your only income will be from parents or a part time weekend job. I doubt after a week of training you'll be fit to work over the weekend too. With no income, how can you expect to live during this time? You'll be living away from home for most of the training so you can't rely on your parents. You'll have to get a loan for more than £84k to cover your living expenses. CTC says an extra £5k for each year in training and you're in training for about 2 years- that's an extra £10k.

3. You're not even guaranteed a job afterwards. They say they've opened the programme because they expect a demand for pilots in the next few years, but who knows what could happen in that time. Another recession for all we know!

Ok, so you get training from one of the biggest airlines in the UK but is almost £100k debt and no guarantee of a job really worth it? Or am I missing something