PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 16:29
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heli1

That close up of Slim was taken with the Westminster prototype, which used Sikorsky S-60 dynamics married to twin turbine engines. Could have been a good machine if Westland had stuck with it. Instead the technology went back to the US, leading to the S-64.

Is Slim still around? I know most of those listed in the Flight article are no longer with us, although have recently been in touch with John Morton and Sox Hosegood, and I think John Fay is still alive.
Ha ha .. was wondering what on earth it was, that explains it! The Colonel also believed the Westminster had considerable potential but, there we are, t'was not to be.

In a similar vein (and which I have mentioned before) the much-troubled WG30 could (in my humble view) have been a success had they addressed its shortcomings swiftly and comprehensively.

ps: Please let Morton and Hosegood know that their exploits are still remembered!

pps: In fact on the H&N forum I read that Alex Crawford is to write a new book about the development of the Belvedere.