PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 Visual Question
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 12:59
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capn Bloggs:

The nerds like to use it. I don't know the capability of AB in this regard, but in my aeroplane (717) it works well (most of the time . Whether the manufacturers intended it to be used around the base turn onto final is another issue.
The only circumstance of which I am aware where VPATH work reliably going around a corner, so to speak, is on a database coded radius-to-fix (RF) leg. RF legs wouldn't be coded on any CVFP.

That approach is a Visual; surely the FAA doesn't "require" use of the ILS?
The sure do, and have done so for many years. But, only at airports with operating control towers:

§ 91.131 Operations in Class B airspace.

(a) Operating rules. No person may operate an aircraft within a Class B airspace area except in compliance with § 91.129 and the following rules (remainder not pertinent)

91.129 Operations in Class D airspace. (Pertinent portion follows):

(2) Each pilot operating a large or turbine-powered airplane approaching to land on a runway served by an instrument approach procedure with vertical guidance, if the airplane is so equipped, must:

(i) Operate that airplane at an altitude at or above the glidepath between the published final approach fix and the decision altitude (DA),or decision height (DH), as applicable; or

(ii) If compliance with the applicable distance-from-cloud criteria requires glide path interception closer in, operate that airplane at or above the glide path, between the point of interception of glide path andthe DA or the DH.

(3) Each pilot operating an airplane approaching to land on a runway served by a visual approach slope indicator must maintain an altitude at or above the glide path until a lower altitude is necessary for a safe landing.

(4) Paragraphs (e)(2) and (e)(3) of this section do notprohibit normal bracketing maneuvers above or below the glide path that are conducted for the purpose of remaining on the glide path.

Paragraphs (e)(2) and (e)(3) of this section do not prohibit normal bracketing maneuvers above or below the glide slope that are conductedfor the purpose of remaining on the glide slope.