PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF AT to the Philippines?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 10:18
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going off topic very slightly...

In the early 1970's I was in Eritrea (Ethiopia) during the period of that really awful famine that effected a significant number of the population.

I watched customs officials sail out to approaching ships carrying large cargoes of Red Cross aid, they would then take 'possession' of the cargo and when the ship docked, they would then sell this cargo to the senior army officials who were waiting at the dock-side.

The cargo was unloaded, stored in warehouses over night and during that time I could hear gun-fire which I believe was coming from zealous guards 'deterring' those that dared to get near these Red cross supplies.

The next day there appeared to be some type of auction where this donated cargo was sold to the local black market, or in modern speak.. The local war lords.

Within hours some of this so called 'aid' could be seen on sale at the local markets. This aid was freely given by the likes of you and I, but how much gets to those in need? What was not sold locally, was loaded into lorries and taken to anywhere, where folks could afford to buy it, none was handed over to the rightful, lawful owners, who simply wanted to GIVE? it away to the starving masses.

I had a word with a very nice lady from the British Embassy and was politely told this is what happens. Palms are oiled and every so often a ship will get through and off load its cargo (usually when delegates, or official observers are scheduled to visit)

On a trip to the capital I went overland and saw trucks carrying the empty sacks that Red Cross grain had been in, these sacks were transported out to the bush where it was swapped for whatever these starving, desperate people possessed. This was usually brush or very dried out branches, twigs. This sacking was then used by these folk to make either clothing or tents. No doubt thy would first try to extract whatever grain was stuck within the material of that sacking.

I hate admitting this, but from that day, I have refused to give one penny to these well wishing charities. I totally accept some of our donations get through, but my experience is that a significant majority is making some very obnoxious people very, very rich. I am not for one milli-second alledging what I saw is endemic, but it certainly effected me and my opinion on aid donations.

Our military, be that any service will at least try to get it to those that need it and hopefully when the RAF are offloading their cargo at this latest area, it is not going anywhere near local officialdom!!!

This is not me repeating some Chinese whisper, I was at Massawa (a port that has undergone much modernisation since I was there) and I travelled over the mountains to Asmara. I saw what I saw and as a side issue I was also 'detained' up in the mountains by the National Army, but that is another story.

We all joke about what a white elephant our carriers will be but imagine what they would achieve if they were out at this location? During my time afloat, I never saw any piece of machinery that could not be repaired by the ship's artificers\mechanicians. These folks are amazing bodgers and if hardened chewing gum was able to fix something, chewing gum it would be.. In a crisis like this, where machinery is broken, I would be amazed if it stayed that way for any length of time. ''Can't be repaired sir' is not something anyone wants to hear if a ship is dead in the water. The workshops that these carriers will no doubt have, will allow these bodgers to actually replicate the damaged parts as opposed to 'bodge' something. These bigger ships will always have more support, bigger generators, more sailors, but we are where we are and every service is doing its very best.

Hopefully when Daring leaves the area, they will go off somewhere for a well earned rest??

When I prepared that first list, I wonder how many ex Royal Navy personnel read it and instantly went into flash back mode and reminisced about their time at Portland??