PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 09:19
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS

How is the TS BHX-YYZ service crewed? Crewing costs must have an impact on the TS ops at BHX - being a weekly service, I imagine the crew operate into BHX have to be bussed to either MAN or LGW (or even positioned to GLA or DUB?) to operate back next day. The reverse of course will be the case for the operating outbound crew, they must be bussed in from MAN or LGW to BHX? Or do TS actually give their crew the pleasure of a week long BHX layover....

Positioning crew like this will add to the costs of operating this service. TS must therefore think it is commercially worthwhile to do so as most airlines will do anything to avoid positioning crew about so regularly unless absolutely necessary. A second frequency I doubt would help this situation, crew would still need to be positioned to another UK airport to operate back, like their planes airlines want crew flying not spending days on end on layovers! The YYZ service would need to be at least 4 x weekly to efficiently layover crew in BHX itself?

I really do hope BHX is in with a shout with WestJet to YYZ and that BHX eyes are back on the trans-Atlantic ball. Sadly however I would not be surprised if EDI and MAN gain any proposed new YYZ services instead. BHX does seem to be a poisoned chalice for trans-Atlantic ops - US Airways must have really been burnt at BHX to choose to operate EDI-PHL instead in 2014. I wonder if they re-considered operating to BHX at all??