PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 20th Nov 2013, 09:03
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
The contention that this or other accidents in the last few years is related directly or indirectly to a less intelligent crop of pilots is dismaying to say the least. What evidence is there for this? I cannot recall, in any form whatsoever, the suggestion, in any accident report, that this is a relevant point. More still, as a broad impression (supported also by personal knowledge of the single fatal accident where I knew PF well), accident candidates are likely to be highly intelligent. But of course, intelligence doesn't cause accidents, and a bit less of it doesn't seem to either (assuming there was any merit in the point in the first place, which I doubt). Hazardous attitudes or a lack of flying discipline, bad or inadequate training, fatigue, poor communication, poor procedures and so on are the primary cause of accidents.

People who really should know better were taking the discussion for a bit of a walz in the woods here.