PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2013, 03:31
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
In response to Cland, the three points where I was called out .....

a) Seems to be confusion here, even amongst the 'bus drivers about the various "alpha" limits or protections or whatever. And when one is the actual FCS limit. So if the FCS doesn't have an absolute AoA limit, then at least show the pilot the stall AoA.

My system had AoA limits depending upon A2A loadout, heavy iron on the wings or in landing configuration. We could only select the A2A or A2G limits, not the gear down limits.

b) Looking at my HUD video you will see what most considered the minimum displayed data for a safe and precise approach. The ILS cross bars are easy to understand. AoA bracket shows where you are and when aligned with the flight path marker( FPM), where you should be. Heading, altitude ( AGL or baro) and speed.

If you want some kinda "magenta line" to helpsteering , fine, but that can be a symbol that you keep aligned with the FPM. Had that on my A-7D, but no autopilot connection to anything. Viper was pure manual, as seen in the video.

c) We had one important backup mode - Standby Gains, which is extremely relevant to our discussions here the last three years. If air data was deemed unreliable the FCS used a fixed value for "gains". One with gear up, and the other gear down. Sure, if way off of the Q that the system used, it got touchy or sloppy. but very easy to fly, much like the "old days" when we didn't have all that stuff.

We did not worry about a myriad of alpha stuff, as we had one with gear up and the other gear down. Both limited the jet to stall AoA ( roughly). You could not command above those limits as the AF447 folks did. Could still run outta energy in a steep climb and momentum would allow the jet to exceed the limts because the flight controls could not react quickly enough ( very hard for our jet, and even more so for the heavies, IMHO).

Having an ACES II seat was very comfortable, and several of my friends are true believers. One, and main reason I never wanted to fly the heavies after getting out was the responsibility of many SLF behind me. If I screwed up, or the jet screwed up, so it was just me. Ain't gonna talk about that anymore.

.....and I assume Cland and maybe one or two others have bothered to look at my HUD tape of the emergency landing. Otherwise, much of my views could be misunderstood.