PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why aren't Motor Gliders more popular?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 23:13
Flying_Anorak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a long term (25 year +) glider pilot / instructor who relatively recently has got himself an NPPL SSEA & SLMG I do feel reasonably qualified to comment on this thread.

I have a share in a G109B and I also have access to a Club's Super Dimona plus the usual PA28s. Of all of them I have to say that the G109B is the nicest to fly - it is comfortable, has a wide cockpit and perhaps most importantly at circa £50 per hour and 90kt cruise it is affordable. This year it has taken me far and wide, including to the Alps and Cannes and back. This is not something I could have afforded to do in an SSEA with the typical operating costs they bring!

Yes ground handling a tail dragger aircraft with a wing span only 9' less than a B25 Mitchell can be challenging, but hopefully it will make me a better pilot as a result. On a good soaring day I'll fly my flapped 15m glider, but on all other days I'll fly my G109 as its low cost means I can just afford to fly for fun, not something I can really justify @ £150hr +.

That said, I wouldn't mind a cheap share in a Cub or a Chippie if anyone knows of one....