PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did Barrier get their AOC back?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 22:51
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
casa is out of touch with the Aviation Industry and so is mccormick

The following is from the Hansard of the Senate on Monday [18th November 2013]:

In part:

Senator FAWCETT: There are a few issues I would like to cover off on. First, can you give us an update on what is happening with Barrier Aviation. It is some months now, I understand, since they were given a 'show cause' and ceased operating. Can you give us an update on what has occurred there?

Mr McCormick: I will ask my general counsel to give you the time line on that. While he is coming forward to the desk I can tell you that we started on 23 December with a 'serious and imminent risk' situation. At this moment we have no application on record from Barrier Aviation to continue or appeal their air operator certificate cancellation. But I will leave that to my general counsel.

Senator FAWCETT:
You say you have nothing on record. My understanding is that they have sought, numerous times, to appear before the AAT. Are you saying that they never have or that there is nothing currently on record?

Mr McCormick: I will defer to my general counsel.

Mr Anastasi: In relation to the question you just asked, there was an application by Barrier on 9 May 2013 for the reissue of its AOC, air operators certificate. That followed CASA cancelling the air operators certificate on 13 March 2013. In relation to the more recent application for the AOC, CASA refused to issue that AOC on 31 July, and that was largely on the basis of the reasons for which it cancelled the AOC. Barrier sought review in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal of both of those decisions and, ultimately, after a hearing was listed in December, withdrew both those applications on 16 October.
The rest is at: Barrier Aviation and Senate estimates Hansard report | Assistance to the Aviation Industry