PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 20:41
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looking closer at this today. Thought I would start by explaining this petition. This is what Qantas want people to sign -

FAIR GO 4 QANTAS

As Qantas staff and supporters of Qantas, we are proud of our airline and we know that in any fair fight we will come out on top. However the unfair playing field in Australian aviation is a risk to the future of Qantas and all our jobs.

It means Virgin, which will be 80% foreign owned, can use its unlimited funds to weaken Qantas in the domestic market and cripple our international business. It means foreign airlines having control of an airline which accesses Australia's valuable air treaty rights.

We must not let three foreign government backed airlines take control of Virgin and ruin the Australian aviation industry for which we have fought so hard.

Make your voice heard and sign the petition below to the Federal Government.
What is really odd about this petition is that it doesn't call on anyone to do anything. There are no demands to change the access rights to air routes. There is no call on the ACCC to intervene or anyone to change a Law to keep airlines Australian. There is nothing. It's highly unusual for any petition not to have any requests for the recipients to act upon.

I think I know why. Qantas don't really want airlines to be Australian owned. If they placed a demand on the petition that would be the last thing they wanted because they have no intention of remaining Australian themselves.

I was floating about the big house in Canberra last week talking to Politicians about Qantas. Qantas were floating around also. Every Polly I met after Qantas had all been lobbied by Qantas to allow them to sell more than 49% offshore. It's not ironic that they want you to sign a nothing petition to attack Virgin, it's all part of the plan to sell Qantas on the back of a "level playing field" argument they are already running.

This petition is a lie.