PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 29th Mar 2003, 02:04
Wet Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting debate.

I attended Emirates selection a while ago and was unsuccessful.

I am pretty sure I know which part I let myself down on and can only blame myself. Other than that I was happy with the rest of my efforts over the three days.

The recruiting team were pleasant and, overall, the selection process was very reasonably carried out.

Several points:

1. The airline (as an airline) is second to none. The training facilities are superb.

2. The admin is poor. Couldn't believe how poor it was when I was being offered Standby dates and, subsequently, confirmed dates.

Standby dates give you a minimum 20 hours notice.
I got a phone call at 1000 local in the UK from Emirates saying they wanted me out there the next day. Get your bags packed, run to Heathrow, buy your own exhorbitant ticket (if you can find a flight), fly there, get to the hotel, get some rest and turn up fresh for interview at 0430 in the morning UK time!!! Use a bit of common sense for christ's sake!

Not forgetting I wanted to take the better half out there for the process as well.

All this after waiting 3 months for those dates as standby.

3. Accomodation is very average.

Villas we were shown were nice inside but very close together.
We would only qualify for these as we had children.
If we were childless then we would qualify for a 3-bedroomed flat several floors up a high rise. Not ideal.

4. Pay for your own transport to get to Dubai - come on Emirates, play the game.

5. We were being quoted average three years to command. Even allowing for expansion and increased orders my maths allowed me to question these figures. You take your chance.

6. 50% of the guys attending interview were unemployed, high time guys from Sabena, Swissair, Canada 3000 etc. Would they be there if they still had a sound job in their home country? Best of luck to them.

7. No confirmation of where you are living until you get there. Could be awkward when you are trying to arrange schools.

Overall, my own view is that Emirates could try a lot harder to look after their new and prospective pilots. At the moment they don't have to - so they don't.

I would encourage anybody who is interested to go out there and give it your best shot - but go out there with your eyes wide open.

All the best.

Last edited by Wet Power; 29th Mar 2003 at 17:18.