PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Light Twin" fatal at Hawarden
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2013, 18:36
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not correct at all.
It is correct in for far as you should have a buffer over Vmc to prevent loss of control - Going around is another matter of course and I very much doubt I'd try a go-around in a MEP aeroplane with one engine inop unless I had no other alternative. and only if I had had time to clean up the dead engine.

In fact all the FI's I've flown with in the USA say NOT to attempt a go-around. Accept a mid field landing, make sure you get it right first time, or land off airport if you can rather than risk a GA.

In the USA anyway there is a lot of emphasis being put on not losing control.My examiner even pulled one mixture on the take off roll to see what i would do and during the cross country, he distracted me and switched off the fuel to one engine when I was completely not expecting it.

At the end of the day, a MEP with one engine out, in control but not climbing, is in no worse situation than a SEP with engine out. When I did my training in the early 00's in California in the summer, the FI used to hold the mixture levers on take off....so that "he could turn us into a glider" if something went badly wrong. Blue line speed was hammered into me by the FI making me do 45 degree turns into and away from a dead engine (at altitude of course) to prove you could remain in control if you get the speeds right. He also made me shoot partial panel, single engine approaches in actual IMC which was quite a challenge (this was for my CPL).

By contrast an EF in the Citation when I did my Mustang training and SE ops was a lot less dramatic, as the centre of thrust is near the centre of the aeroplane. Of course there is less to decide there, V1 ROTATE, and your hands come off the throttles and you are going regardless.

Just my 2p's worth. I don't purport to be an expert, just passing on my experiences and of course it is a different matter completely when it happens for real. I also believe in training and whenever I go to the USA, which is quite often, I have no problem doing some time with an FI as there is always something new to learn. We normally make it fun though and have an adventure at the same time...