PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Operators Performance Calculation Methods?
Old 19th Nov 2013, 18:33
Niterunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Second segment

Hello all,
I would like to resurrect this thread, or if it has been discussed somewhere else, please paste the link as I could not find it.
It seems that performance is too often ignored in non airline environment, but all airplanes fly the same so we should have the same safety standards as the airlines and charter operators.
While looking for WB/performance software I found that APG escape routes just added work load and more possibility for error to an already challenging situation. It was mostly for this reason that I chose EFP-Pro for our operation.
I'll be honest here and admit to this being a weak area and I blame it on lax regulations and therefor weak training standards. I have also worked 135 and we used to run the numbers for each flight, but I'm not so sure we were doing it right beyond 1st segment. I wish to remedy this oversight and learn as much as possible about performance and obstacle clearance.

I have recently heard a few things that made me decide to write about this.
-Runway Analasys, (APG), escape routes often parallel or copy the DP, so they are really no big deal to fly much of the time.
-EFB-Pro uses net flight path, (adjusted for temp), unlike some others.
An argument was made for APG type software that reminded us that "current" airport conditions must also include NOTAMS for obstacles to be considered into the runway analysis as the the DP does not have to clear obstacles.
Again, DP DOES NOT GUARANTEE OBSTACLE CLEARANCE!

There seems to be a lot of confusion and lack of understanding in this area.
While in recurrent this year we were presented some videos about second segment planning and how calculations are made.
TAPP TAPP Working Group Video (Part 1 of 4): Planning For Takeoff Obstacle Clearance - YouTube

If anyone has any reference material they wish to share that could help the rest of us, (or maybe just me), better understand and apply to our daily routine, please post here.

I have been flying left seat many years and am always looking to learn as much as possible to improve safety, but we must be proactive as the "old way" is not always the best way.