Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nigeria

Nigeria

Getting there.

FERRY FLIGHT - 2 x S76A's.
REDHILL TO PORT HARCOURT.
27th April 1981 - 1st May 1981.

27th April 1981, Redhill - Gatwick -Perpignan.

In the afternoon, two S76A's, G-BIPR and G-BISZ departed Redhill in company for a 3500 mile flight, Trans-Sahara to Port Harcourt in Nigeria. The aircraft were equipped with the standard nav/com fitting (but no area nav) and internal ferry tanks. We were loaded down with full fuel, spares, bottles of water, whisky and cigarettes. (The latter can be helpful to ease formalities en-route sometimes!!). After clearing customs at Gatwick, we climbed to 7000 ft along the airways to Perpignan in the South of France (a little different to my ferry of a Hiller 12E some 13 years earlier!) We arrived to a balmy evening and having cleared French Douanes with a helpful Officer, we departed for our hotel. I remember eating in a small cafe where the locals loved to sing. - a fitting end to the day.

28th April 1981, Perpignan - Algiers - El Golea.

We left late morning on a direct track for Algiers. The Pyranees were magnificent in the morning sunshine. We routed overhead Majorca where, would you believe it was raining? After passing Majorca, the weather improved and we landed at Algiers for entry clearance into Algeria early afternoon. When I was at school, I spent a fair time on exchange with a French family and now I found my French really useful. Though I hadn't spoken French for some years now, I found I had to slow down for the Algerian authorities. It did help as Algeria was once a French Protectorate and French was their second language. We were lucky to be permitted to fly Trans-Sahara, as we didn't have an HF or Area Nav system, which, if my memory serves me well was a requirement. However, as we were "in Company" and able to look after each other, then we were permitted to continue. We decided to make El Golea, a former Foreign Legion outpost, for the last sector of the day. We soon ran out of the traditional Nav aids and only had the NDB's and a map left. The maps were pretty featureless and therefore pretty useless. Finally, we made El Golea in the evening after an 8 hour flying day. The Taxi driver took us to the "hotel", the former Foreign Legion Fort (water was only available on certain days and at certain times and we weren't in any of them). We had a meal of sorts in the town's cafe after which he invited us back to his brother's house for some traditional mint tea.

29th April 1981, El Golea - In Salah - Tamanrasset.

We left for Tamanrasset, early the next morning before the sun was really hot. The intention was to climb to 10,000 feet and route direct to Tamanrasset, using the reduced fuel flows to extend the endurance. However, as the flight progressed and with the weather turning into a sandstorm, it was obvious that we were unable to make Tamanrasset in one leg. The engine particle separators were working overtime as we diverted to In-Salah, an oil base, for a refuel. Having filled up with maximum fuel, we set course for Tamanrasset. I note from my logbook that the visibility never got above 2 kms for that sector. Again, due to the weather, all the ground nav aids were lost and due to the build up of sand over the aircraft, the radio's performance dropped to virtually nothing. By this time we had lost contact, both visually and by radio with the other S76A. We were flying at around 10,000 to 11,000 ft aware of 9000 ft Mount Tamanrasset not too far away. We had passed our ETA and still we didn't have contact with Tamanrasset. Finally we got in contact with ATC only to be told that there was a sandstorm blowing and they had lost their ILS. I saw a road underneath me and descended and followed it. As we closed Tamanrasset, the weather improved enough for us to make the airfield visually. After another 8 flying hour day, we made our way to the hotel and sank several Coca-Cola's (believe that if you will).

30th April 1981 Tamanrasset - Agades - Kano.

The next day dawned clear and it was sobering to see the size of Mount Tamanrasset and the wrecks of many aircraft, left as they crashed, around the Tamanrasset Airport. We climbed to 9000 ft and set course for Agades. When we got in contact with Agades ATC, we could not believe our ears when he reported an air temperature of +47 degrees C. We landed just after mid-day and sure enough it was +47C. We paid for our fuel in US Dollars and true to their Islamic upbringing, they would not accept the balance (some US$30) as a tip but insisted on splitting it between them and us - US$15 each. We felt that to offer them a "bottle" of spirits would be frowned upon but they certainly loved the bag of mint sweeties we had. Take off clearance was given and we lifted the collective to the Allison limit - nothing happened, not even light on the wheels. The Sikorsky limit was squeezed gently but we were unable to lift into the hover in that heat and at maximum (?) weight. Make like a fixed wing, I thought and was airborne after about 150 metres ground run. The rate of climb was non-existent for the next 15 minutes it took us to achieve 500 ft. Luckily, the ground was quite flat. Eventually we climbed to our cruise altitude and sighted the Nigerian border in the late afternoon. Arriving in Kano, all the formalities were completed but this time we were deficient of some of our goodies. This was my introduction to "DASH". We were met by Company personnel and after clearing customs proceeded to our hotel for a shower and one or two celebratory drinks.

1st May 1981 Kano - Port Harcourt.

The final leg was short compared to the other days. We left Kano mid morning and climbed to a couple of thousand feet in clear weather. It is amazing how the scenery was changing as we flew South from the arid desert to the lush vegetation of the Nigerian River State. We completed the ferry flight with a 2 aircraft fly past followed by a Champagne reception.
The total flight time was 30 and a half hours - an experience I am unlikely to forget.

Thanks to Clive Knowles who was the Captain of the other aircraft for jogging my memory.

John Whale