PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL (A) The real cost££££
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2003, 00:40
mikegreatrex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool PPL (A) The real cost££££

On the 4th June 2001 I ventured into the skies for the first of what I thought would be about 55 hours of flying training. Having passed my skills test last week, I thought I would take this opportunity to relate the true cost of my training to date.

Whilst we all like to think that we will take 45 hours to learn to fly in what is a reasonably unrestricted environment, the reality is somewhat different (72:10 for me). Certainly in the run up to my first solo (17 hours, I thought I would do it in ten hours too) all my training had been quite intense, which is well worthwhile, with my solo being acheived in less than a month.

From then on and for primarily financial reasons, I had to resort to the once a week or perhaps every other week phylosophy, which is where the costs start to mount. This is because the first 10-15 minutes of each flight are spent revising the last lesson. Those just starting out need to bear this in mind when budgeting for their training.

So on to the costs:-

School Membership fees (compulsory) - £195
Books & stuff - £200ish
Exam fees - £270
Hourly fees - £7056 (72 hours @ £98ph
Licence issue - £140

Total cost = £7861

Would I train in the UK if I had my time ovber again? well yes and know.

I think an intensive ppl course in the states would have been a better option, so long as you discipline yourself to a further 10 hours UK flying at least. This is primarily weather related on both counts. Learning in the states will allow a more intensive schedule less likely to be disrupted by the elements at a cheaper $rate. No waiting around for weeks for a weather window to do your QXC (in the UK this always means more cost as the school will probably want you to do a landaway every three weeks at least whilst your waiting). Doing ten hours when you get back ensures that you can cope with the UK environment.

One other thing, and this is just my opinion, learn to fly with an FTO that is close to, or even better in a controlled environment. For me this was EGNX. Why? well from day one you have to use the radio in a disciplined manner which makes the use of them less initimidating when you come to do your first solo navs. In addition being surrounded by professional aircrew is a great inspiration!

Best tip - Be realistic about your budget.

Happy flying.

Regards

Mike